Friday, August 13, 2010

Geneva

I recently had the opportunity to visit one of the most beautiful (and expensive) cities in the world, Geneva. It was a business trip which actually felt more like a holiday. I travelled with 2 other colleagues and once there we met up with 3 more colleagues and had such a lot of fun!

It was my first time experiencing a European SUMMER because the last time I was there it was in the middle of winter. Europe in summer is just beautiful (and a lot like Cape Town)..the sun only sets at 10pm, leaving ample time to explore the city in daylight. We really did explore almost every nook and cranny of Geneva and it's quite a small city with a rich history. We were lucky enough to also be visiting at the same time that the Geneva Festival was taking place and from the little that we experienced it was quite a spectacle. We visited the old Geneva city and I thought it was just stunning. It looked exactly like the movies, cobblestone roads, corner walkways everywhere, flower-filled balconies, apartments with huge doors and lots of corner restaurants.

The transport system also blew me away, we used the buses to travel around the city and we didn't pay for one single bus trip. The buses are super-efficient, they always arrive on time at the bus stops and are always clean! I shopped till my feet ached, there were sales everywhere!! Hello SUMMER SALES :) I was so happy that all the shops were on sale because the cost of living in Geneva is really expensive and so is everything else.

I am a person who loves chicken and was very disappointed to find that most of the restaurants were not serving chicken dishes because it is apparently not considered a premium dish :( We searched high and low and we eventually found a chicken restaurant and it was really worth it.

I really enjoyed my first European summer and look forward to another one, hopefully i will be on holiday and not working!

No comments:

Post a Comment