Tuesday, July 20, 2010

EXCLUSIVE!! One on One with DJ Ndayo

DJ Ndayo is a very busy man it took me two weeks of persistent nagging for an EXCLUSIVE interview before he was able to fit me into his busy schedule. I was very excited at the opportunity to  get to know this rising star not only on a professional level but hopefully on a personal one as well.

When did you start DJ’ing? 
I technically started DJ school in 2007 and then I dropped out due to other work commitments and only really got back into it in 2009. 
And why? 
Before the DJ’ing started I was more into production and I just could not get my music heard. I therefore started DJ’ing so that I could test my music on the masses. But then I really grew to love the art so now I do both, I am currently focusing more on DJ’ing though.


Are you just passionate about house music or are other types of music included
in your play list as well? 
In my personal play list I have all types of music you can think of from house to jazz, RnB, hip hop, rock, mbhaqanga, opera etc. However as a DJ my focus is purely on house music.

Is your passion for music limited to just DJ’ing and production? 
Music is me and I am music. Music for me is like breathing, if I stop breathing I will die. If I don’t hear music even in my head, I will die. I know it sounds dramatic but I will die.
 
Are you a full-time DJ or do you have a 9-5 job as well? 
I currently also have a full time job and DJ’ing is a part time gig but the intention is to eventually become a full time entertainer.


How do you balance the two? 
I do my day job till about 18:30 and then I go home to relax. Then at 21:00 or 22:00 I start with the DJ’ing work, so I end up sleeping at 2am. That’s my normal working day. 7:30am I get up and I sleep at 2am.

What inspires you? 
Life’s Moments, Sounds, Emotions.

Who do you admire in the SA music industry and why? 
Sphectacula, Euphonik, Fresh & Kent mostly for different reasons. Fresh because of his staying power, ability to re-invent himself and maintaining his stay at the top. Sphectacula for his tenacity, never-say-die attitude as well as his personality. Euphonik for what he has achieved in such a short time. Kent for his perfectionism on the decks as well as his production skills.

DJ Ndayo and DJ Kent

How can people get hold of you to find out where you are playing? 
Follow me on twitter (@djndayo), check out my facebook group page (NDAYO) and my facebook profile (Deejay Ndayo), myspace page (djndayo). I also have a website http://www.djndayo.com/

What are the things in life that make you smile? 
A comedian, my friends, good people

Other than music, is there anything else that you are passionate about? 
Sports, especially soccer!!! I am crazy about it. I even buy magazines and newspapers just for the sports section. 

When Bafana Bafana was knocked out of the World cup, who were you supporting and why?
Soccer, I just support soccer. I only have a heart for one country.

I don’t see a ring on your finger so I have to ask, are you taken?
No comment.

Ndayo was such a pleasure to interview, he's very friendly, humble and down to earth. 

If you haven't experienced DJ Ndayo's magic on the decks yet, you can catch him at FTV World Wear, Randburg this Saturday, 24th of July for the Fantasy Party at 20:00! See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment